Steve Lieber Innovator Scholarship
Purpose and History
Established in 2017, the Steve Lieber Innovator Scholarship is awarded to a student pursuing a degree from an accredited collegiate undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral academic program. Winning submissions embrace the use of digital health or technology-enabled workflow innovation in support of the HIMSS mission to reform the global health ecosystem by leveraging the power of information and technology.
The call for scholarship applications is now closed. Applicants will be notified of the disposition of their application in December. Thank you and good luck to all who applied.
HIMSS 2021 Recipient
Steve Lieber Innovator Scholarship
Medicine - MD (w/ Bioinformatics Research + EMR Work)
Jacobs School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (Buffalo)
The submission should identify and highlight metrics for success in either an operations or clinical workflow improvement and include one of these three scenarios:
- Apply, or reference, any common industry business framework to a workflow redesign project that is designed to move beyond the basics; or
- Identify new tools, articulate tactics, and design roadmaps to simplify the adoption and scalability of new care model innovations by other health organizations; or
- Present relevant, practical, and new innovations that will employ digital health to improve care delivery, the consumer experience, and/or the usability of health information systems.
For scholarship consideration, the following criteria must be met:
- The applicant at the time the Scholarship is awarded must be a full-time student in good standing and actively taking coursework in an accredited undergraduate, graduate or doctoral program related to the health information and technology or management systems field;
- The specific degree program is not a critical factor, although it is expected that programs similar to those in industrial engineering, operations research, bioinformatics, health informatics, computer science and information systems, mathematics, quantitative programs in business administration, clinical disciplines, or health administration will predominate;
- Current HIMSS student member in good standing;
- Not currently serving on HIMSS Board of Directors or any HIMSS Advisory Boards;
- Cannot be currently employed nor serving in an internship capability for HIMSS, nor engaged in a consulting contract with any business unit of HIMSS;
- Cannot be a member of the Scholarship Selection Committee; and
- Nominees must agree, if selected for the Scholarship that, within one year of receiving the Scholarship, they will provide HIMSS a minimum of two pieces of content (presentation, blog postings, interview for podcast, article, etc.) that HIMSS can produce/publish.
The Nomination Process
Any person meeting the eligibility and required criteria may be nominated, including self-nominations. Only fully-completed applications submitted by the published deadline will be considered.
The online application form will require the following information:
- A completed application using the online nomination form.
- A 1,000 word maximum description explaining how the criteria has been met.
- Two letters of recommendations. One letter must originate from a faculty member of the institution in which the student is enrolled. HIMSS discourages nominees from submitting letters of recommendation written by a member of the Scholarship Selection Committee.
The Steve Lieber Innovator Scholarship Provides
- Symbol of recognition;
- Public announcement in an official HIMSS publication and on relevant website(s);
- Registration to HIMSS Global Health Conference and Exhibition;
- Airfare for recipient to travel to the HIMSS Global Health Conference;
- Two-night hotel stay for recipient near conference location;
- $5,000 scholarship to recipient;
- $200 Honoraria.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.