Steve Lieber Innovator Scholarship
Purpose and History
The Steve Lieber Innovator Scholarship is awarded to a student pursuing a degree from an accredited collegiate undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral academic program. Winning submissions embrace the use of digital health or technology-enabled workflow innovation in support of the HIMSS mission of better health through information and technology.
The call for scholarship applications is now closed. Scholarship recipients will be notified in November 2018. For more information, contact email@example.com
HIMSS 2019 Recipient
For scholarship consideration, the student’s submission must
- Apply, or reference, frameworks such as the HIMSS Innovation Pathways Maturity Model to a workflow redesign project that is designed to move beyond the basics;
- Identify new tools, articulate tactics, and design roadmaps to simplify the adoption and scalability of new care model innovations by other health organizations; or
- Present relevant, practical, and new innovations that will employ digital health to improve care delivery, the consumer experience, and/or the usability of health information systems.
In addition, the submission should identify and highlight metrics for success in either an operations or clinical workflow improvement.
Additional Eligibility and Required Criteria
- The applicant at the time the Scholarship is awarded must be a student in good standing and actively taking coursework in an accredited undergraduate, graduate or doctoral program related to the health information and technology or management systems field;
- The specific degree program is not a critical factor, although it is expected that programs similar to those in industrial engineering, operations research, bioinformatics, health informatics, computer science and information systems, mathematics, quantitative programs in business administration, clinical disciplines, or health administration will predominate;
- Current HIMSS member in good standing;
- Cannot currently serve on any HIMSS Board (Health 2.0, HIMSS, HIMSS Analytics, HIMSS Asia Pacific, HIMSS Europe, HIMSS Media, HIMSS North America, or PCHAlliance);
- Cannot be currently employed nor serving in an internship capability for HIMSS, nor engaged in a consulting contract with any business unit of HIMSS;
- Cannot be a member of the Scholarship Selection Committee;
- Nominees must agree, if selected for the Scholarship that, within six months of receiving the Scholarship, they will provide HIMSS a minimum of two pieces of content (blog postings, interview for podcast, article, etc.) that HIMSS can publish; and
- Nominees must agree, if selected for the Scholarship that, within one year of receiving the Scholarship, they will make at least one presentation (HIMSS face-to-face event, HIMSS chapter event, webinar, etc.); HIMSS assumes financial responsibility for related travel expenses.
The Nomination Process
Any person meeting the eligibility and required criteria may be nominated, including self-nominations. Only fully-completed applications submitted by the published deadline will be considered.
The online application form will require the following information:
- A completed application using the online nomination form.
- A 1,000 word maximum description explaining how the criteria has been met.
- Two letters of recommendations. One letter must originate from a faculty member of the institution in which the student is enrolled. HIMSS discourages nominees from submitting letters of recommendation written a member of the Scholarship Selection Committee.
The Steve Lieber Innovator Scholarship Provides
- Symbol of recognition;
- Public announcement in an official HIMSS publication and on relevant website(s);
- Registration to HIMSS Global Conference and Exhibition;
- Airfare for recipient to travel to the HIMSS Global Conference;
- Two-night hotel stay for recipient near conference location;
- $5,000 scholarship to recipient;
- $200 Honoraria;
The Scholarship Recipient
- Must make at least one presentation (HIMSS face-to-face event, HIMSS chapter event, webinar, etc.) within one year of scholarship award. HIMSS assumes financial responsibility for related travel expenses; and
- Must provide at least two pieces of written (article, blog post, case study, etc.) or audio (podcast, etc.) content which HIMSS may publish.