Richard P. Covert, Ph.D., LFHIMSS Scholarship for Management Systems
Purpose and History
The Richard P. Covert, Ph.D., LFHIMSS Scholarship for Management Systems is awarded to a student pursuing a degree from an academic program (undergraduate or higher) that engenders the use of Management Engineering. In addition to the $5,000 scholarship award, the recipient will also receive a trip to the HIMSS Global Health Conference and Exhibition (some restrictions may apply).
The call for scholarship applications is now closed. Applicants will be notified of the disposition of their application in December. Thank you and good luck to all who applied.
HIMSS 2021 Recipient
Richard P. Covert, PhD., LFHIMSS Scholarship for Management Systems
Kesley D. Tyson
Doctor of Health Administration
Medical University of South Carolina
For scholarship consideration, the following criteria must be met:
- The primary occupation of the applicant at the time the scholarship is awarded must be that of a full-time student in an accredited undergraduate, Masters or PhD program related to the healthcare management systems field. The specific degree program is not a critical factor, although it is expected that programs similar to those in industrial engineering, operations research, mathematics, and quantitative programs in business administration and hospital administration will predominate;
- Undergraduate applicants must be at least a first-term junior when the scholarship is awarded;
- Current student member in good standing of HIMSS;
- Not currently serving on HIMSS Board of Directors or any HIMSS Advisory Boards;
- Cannot be currently employed by HIMSS, nor engaged in a consulting contract with any component of HIMSS;
- Scholarship judges are ineligible to be apply;
- Previous Foundation Scholarship recipients are ineligible.
The Nomination Process
Any person meeting the eligibility and required criteria may be nominated. Candidates may also nominate themselves for the scholarship. Only fully-completed applications submitted by the published deadline will be considered.
The online application form will require the following information:
- A completed application using the online nomination form;
- Two letters of recommendation provided by any of the following: peers, colleagues, managers, or professors. We discourage nominees from submitting letters of recommendation written by Selection Committee judges;
- Resume/curriculum vitae.
The Richard P. Covert, Ph.D., LFHIMSS Scholarship for Management Systems Provides
- Symbol of recognition;
- Public announcement in an official HIMSS publication and on relevant website(s);
- Registration to HIMSS Global Health Conference and Exhibition;
- Airfare for recipient to travel to conference;
- Two-night hotel stay for recipient near conference location;
- $5,000 scholarship to recipient;
- $200 Honoraria.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.